Monday, July 25, 2011

Portaloo


A man from the Royal Australian Air Force who suffered horrific burns in a portaloo explosion is expected to be taken to Brisbane for treatment.
The man received third-degree burns to his head, face, arms, chest and airways in the incident at the Rockhampton airport about 9.30am (AEST) on Monday, the Department of Community Safety said.
"There was some sort of explosion in a portaloo. It's believed the man was lighting a cigarette at the time," a spokeswoman said.
"He was taken to the Rockhampton hospital in a serious condition."
Defence spokesman Brigadier Bob Brown said the victim received immediate treatment.
"It is expected that he will be transferred to the Brisbane Hospital this evening," he told reporters in Rockhampton.
"Our top priority is to the member, to ensure he gets the best of medical care."
Brigadier Brown said the man had been taking part in a joint US-Australia military exercise, Talisman Sabre.
He said his family had been notified of the incident, and police and fire authorities were investigating the incident.
He said it was too early to speculate about what caused the explosion.

Share/Bookmark